Chesapeake and Ohio Canal
The entire Georgetown neighborhood is a designated National Historic Landmark District. It received this designation in 1967 for its large concentration of well-preserved colonial and Federal period architecture.
Georgetown is also home to a variety of other historic landmarks, including:
- Canal Square Building, 1054 31st Street, NW, former home of the Tabulating Machine Company, a direct precursor of IBM
- The City Tavern Club, built in 1796, is the oldest commercial structure in Washington, D.C.
- The Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, begun in 1829.
- Dumbarton Oaks, 3101 R Street, NW, former home of John C. Calhoun, U.S. vice president, where the United Nations charter was outlined in 1944.
- Evermay, built in 1801 and restored by F. Lammot Belin
- The Forrest-Marbury House, 3350 M Street, NW, where George Washington met with local landowners to acquire the District of Columbia. Currently the Embassy of Ukraine.
- Georgetown Lutheran Church was the first church in Georgetown, dates back to 1769. The current church structure, the fourth on the site, was built in 1914.
- Georgetown Presbyterian Church was established in 1780 by Reverend Stephen Bloomer Balch. Formerly located on Bridge Street (M Street), the current church building was constructed in 1881 on P Street.
- Healy Hall on Georgetown's campus, built in Flemish Romanesque style from 1877 to 1879 was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1987.
- Mount Zion United Methodist Church and Mount Zion Cemetery
- The Oak Hill Cemetery, a gift of William Wilson Corcoran whose Gothic Revival chapel and gates were designed by James Renwick, is the resting place of Abraham Lincoln's son Willie and other figures.
- The Old Stone House, built in 1765, located on M Street is the oldest original structure in Washington, D.C.
- Tudor Place and Dumbarton Court
- The Volta Laboratory and Bureau, created by Alexander Graham Bell as his first formal research laboratory, the profits from which were used to create a research and educational institution devoted to serving the deaf, which operates today as the Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, also known as the 'AG Bell'.