Located at 217 West 45th Street, the Morosco Theatre was designed by architect Herbert J. Krapp for the Shuberts, who constructed it for Oliver Morosco in gratitude for his helping them break the monopoly of the Theatrical Syndicate. It had approximately 955 seats. After an invitation-only preview performance on February 4, 1917, it opened to the public on February 5. The inaugural production was Canary Cottage, a musical with a book by Morosco and a score by Earl Carroll.
The Shuberts lost the building in the Great Depression, and City Playhouses, Inc. bought it at auction in 1943. It was sold in 1968 to Bankers Trust Company and, after a massive "Save the Theatres" protest movement mounted by various actors and other theatrical folk failed, it was razed in 1982, along with the first Helen Hayes, the Bijou, and remnants of the Astor and the
Gaiety theaters; it was replaced by the 49-story Marriott Marquis hotel and Marquis Theatre.