cape of good hope
kaap de goede hoop
anthem: god save the king
(1795–1837; 1901–1910) god save the queen
the cape of good hope c. 1890 with griqualand east and griqualand west annexed and stellaland/goshen (light red) claimed
|common languages||english, dutch (official¹)|
khoekhoe, xhosa also spoken
|religion ||dutch reformed church, anglican, san religion|
|prime minister|| |
|john charles molteno|
|john x. merriman|
|1822||331,900 km2 (128,100 sq mi)|
|1910||569,020 km2 (219,700 sq mi)|
|today part of|| namibia2|
¹ dutch was the sole official language until 1806, when the british officially replaced dutch with english. dutch was reincluded as a second official language in 1882.2 penguin islands
and walvis bay3 basutoland
was annexed to the cape colony in 1871, before becoming a crown colony in 1884.
south africa portal|
the cape of good hope, also known as the cape colony (dutch: kaapkolonie), was a british colony in present-day south africa, named after the cape of good hope. the british colony was preceded by an earlier dutch colony of the same name, the kaap de goede hoop, established in 1652 by the dutch east india company. the cape was under dutch rule from 1652 to 1795 and again from 1803 to 1806. the dutch lost the colony to great britain following the 1795 battle of muizenberg, but had it returned following the 1802 peace of amiens. it was re-occupied by the uk following the battle of blaauwberg in 1806, and british possession affirmed with the anglo-dutch treaty of 1814.
the cape of good hope then remained in the british empire, becoming self-governing in 1872, and uniting with three other colonies to form the union of south africa in 1910. it then was renamed the province of the cape of good hope. south africa became a sovereign state in 1931 by the statute of westminster. in 1961 it became the republic of south africa and obtained its own monetary unit called the rand. following the 1994 creation of the present-day south african provinces, the cape province was partitioned into the eastern cape, northern cape, and western cape, with smaller parts in north west province.
the cape of good hope was coextensive with the later cape province, stretching from the atlantic coast inland and eastward along the southern coast, constituting about half of modern south africa: the final eastern boundary, after several wars against the xhosa, stood at the fish river. in the north, the orange river, also known as the gariep river, served as the boundary for some time, although some land between the river and the southern boundary of botswana was later added to it. from 1878, the colony also included the enclave of walvis bay and the penguin islands, both in what is now namibia.